What is Ayush? AYUSH full form and details of Ayush Mantralaya Bharat Sarkar
This article provides details of AYUSH Mantralaya and its working. It starts with details AYUSH Full Form and describes the historical and current day administration for the AYUSH as well as some frequently asked questions about the term.
AYUSH Full Form
AYUSH name in the context of healthcare in India refers to Department of Anyush (Ayush Ministry, Ministry of Ayush or Ayush Mantralaya Bharat Sarkar). The name AYUSH itself is made of different medical techniques being used in India.
What does AYUSH stand for?
A – Ayurved
Y – Yoga & Naturopathy
U – Unani
S – Siddha
H – Homeopathy
AYUSH also includes “Sowa-Rigpa” commonly known as Tibetan system of medicine, though it doesnt appear in Ayush full form above.
History of AYUSH
The earlier name for Ayush Ministry was Indian System of Medicine and Homeopathy (or known as ISM&H). In Nov 2003, its name was rechristened as Department of Ayush. Its main objective was to provide more insight into the growth of studies in Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy. It started working under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
With the new government in 2014, AYUSH was set up as a separate ministry – Ministry of Ayush or Ayush Mantralaya. Its headquarter is set up in New Delhi and Mr. Shripad Yesso Naik as current minister overseeing the working of AYUSH.
What does AYUSH Mantralaya do?
The main agenda of Ayush Mantralaya is to look after issues related to education and research of AYUSH techniques as mentioned as AYUSH Full form above. To summarize, Ayush Mantralaya is responsible to :
- Develop standards for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy drugs
- Improve the standard of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy colleges across the country and provide quality services and educations via these institutes.
- Promote schemes to launch medicine plants and their processes.
- Improve and invest in the key research areas or diseases where AYUSH have been more effective.
Note that despite a downturn in use of some of the AYUSH techniques such as Homeopathy, however, India has firmly backed these methods over the years.
Framework of AYUSH
- Below mentioned professional councils come under AYUSH framework:
- Central Council of Homoeopathy Medicine (CCH)
- Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)
- Central Council of Sowarigpa (Tibetan) Medicine (CCTM)
- Central Council of Naturopathy Medicine (CCNM)
- Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission
2. Below mentioned research councils come under AYUSH framework:
- Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Science(CCRAS)
- Central Council for Research in Siddha Medicine (CCRS)
- Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM)
- Central Council for Research in Homeopathy Medicine (CCRH)
- Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy Medicine (CCRYN)
- Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicine (PLIM)
- Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory (HPL)
3. Below mentioned national institutes come under AYUSH framework:
- National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur (NIA)
- National Institute of Siddha, Chennai (NIS)
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata (NIH)
- National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune (NIN)
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Banglore (NIUM)
- Institute of Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda Medicine, Jamnagar, Gujarat (IPGTR)
- Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth(National Ayurveda University), New Delhi (RAV)
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga Science, New Delhi (MDNIY)
- North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy (NEIAH)
- All India Institute of Ayurveda, Delhi
Who is Minister of Ayush at present?
What is meant by AYUSH?
What is National Ayush Mission?
What is AYUSH Hospital?
Who were the Unani? What is Unani Medicine?
What is BUMS course?
One can start practicing Yunani medicines after getting a formal education in the field. BUMS is such an undergraduate degree course. This degree is aimed to provide the practitioner with in-depth knowledge in the field of Unani medicine system. Once the course is completed, one can start practicing as doctor or Hakim in the Unani system.
What is meant by Siddha medicine? Who is Siddha?
What is BSMS course?
What is BAMS course?
What is Homoeopathy?
Homeopathy has been practiced in India for over a century now. A rough study estimates that over 10% households in India rely on Homeopathic treatment for most of their healthcare requirements – making it 2nd most popular medicine systems within India. Its popularity also comes from the fact that the pills prescribed in this medical system are safe and the treatment plans very gentle. It has proved itself to be very effective in treatments as it promotes the inner balance and works as per the individual level to strengthen the person from inside.