Ayushman Bharat Yojana – Eligibility criteria for hospitals
Ayushman Bharat Yojana or National Health Protection Scheme is a program which aims to provide a service to create a healthy, capable and content new India. Please go through the Ayushman Bharat Scheme article to know more about the AB-NHPS scheme. The Ayushman Bharat Yojana has been operational since 23-Sep-2018 and has benefited 1000 patients on the 1st hour of its launch itself. This article has been written to answer some of the questions that come in health practitioners mind on if they/or their institute is eligible to participate in the scheme.
Ayushman Bharat Yojana – Eligibility for hospitals
If you are medical service provider, for example Hospitals, Ambulance service providers etc. then we have tried to list down top criteria for you to be eligible to take part in the scheme.
This article only lists down Category -1 criteria for now. These are essential conditions and ‘must’ be fulfilled by all the providers. We will come up with other non-essential or specific eligibility criteria set in next article, so watch out this space for more information.
Category 1 – Essential Criteria
Hospitals must satisfy below requirements in order to satisfy the basic requirements and be approved as a Networked hospital by State authorities.
- The hospital must have a minimum of 10 inpatient beds. There must be support staff available as per required by the government rules. The required documents have to be produced at the time of empanelment. However, there could be some concession given from this rule to single speciality providers.
- There should be around 80 ft or more per bed in general ward, All the necessary basic amenities must be provided – this includes clean bed, electricity and water. It must have an accessible washroom for patients as well.
- The Hospitals must have necessary IT tools and processes to support the new streams of incoming patients and ensure that all the IT guidelines of Ayushman Bharat Yojana are being adhered to.
- IF emergency services are being offered then it should be managed by 24 hrs availability of well qualified technical staff.
- The provider must either own or have a tie up for ambulance services. The ambulance service must be available round the clock.
- Hospital needs to provide separate desk area for Ayushman Bharat patients in reception area of the hospital. Also, for this scheme hospitals need to provide a dedicated medical officer as ABNHPM coordinator.
- If hospital is offering surgical facilities then it must have full fledged operation theatre. It must have well qualified nursing staff, post op ward along with ventilator and other facilities.
- Round the clock availability ( or on call) of Obstetrician/ Paediatrician/ Surgeon/ Anaesthetist as applicable.
- As above, support systems are also required to be available round the clock. For example the above services like Pharmacy,
Blood Bank, Laboratory, etc either should be available in house or with a partner in vicinity.
- All the records for NHPS patients must be persisted and shared appropriately with authorities as and when required by norms.
- Hospital must be registered with the tax authorities and must be following standard legal requirements as prescribed by health agencies.
- Regular facilities like safe and clean water supplies, proper waiting area, bio-medical waste management, proper mechanism for fire safety as per the guidelines defined by government agencies.
- 24*7 supply for water and electricity and power backup.
- Hospitals also need to make a convenient environment to promote this government scheme all around.
To register yourself in panel for Ayushman Bharat Yojana, please follow this link.
In this article, we tried to summarise main criteria for the Ayushman Bharat scheme’s empanelment for the hospitals. In the next article we’ll gather some more info regarding this and will walk you through the whole registration process. The scheme has been very successful so far, benefitting thousands of patients within few days of its launch.
Hope this article was helpful to you. Please do let us know your views about this article and the Ayushman Bharat Scheme as well.