Ayush Mark : Process to get certified and benefits
Ayush Mark is an initiative undertaken by Ayush Ministry to voluntarily certify the quality of herbal products in India. The Ayush Mark scheme ensures that herbal products based on AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga/Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy) are certified products and comply with guidelines set by Quality Council of India (QCI) & Ministry of Ayush. This also applies to all the companies who what to export their goods to EU, USA and rest of the world and comply with manufacturing practice set by those countries. This mark ascertains that the drug manufacturers are awarded quality certificate to the products on the basis of evaluation of the quality of QCI norms, subject to fulfillment of other regulatory requirements.
Ayush Mark & Voluntary Certification Scheme for Ayush Products
The Ayush products are regulated under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 by the Drugs Controller General of India through the State Governments. The Department of AYUSH has been exploring the possibility of introducing a voluntary product certification scheme for selected AYUSH products to enhance consumer confidence. The matter was discussed in a series of meetings taken by the Secretary (AYUSH) beginning 24 Dec 2008 and the Quality Council of India (QCI) offered to develop a concept paper on the subject. On approval of the concept, the Department of AYUSH signed an agreement with the QCI on 27 July 2009 to design the Scheme with Department of AYUSH being the Scheme owner and QCI being responsible for managing the Scheme. The draft Scheme was given to the Department of AYUSH on 3 Aug 2009 and simultaneously placed on the websites of Department of AYUSH and QCI for public consultation. The Scheme will be overseen by a Multistakeholder Steering Committee (MSC) chaired by the Secretary (AYUSH) with the secretariat in QCI. The MSC will be supported by a Technical Committee and a Certification Committee constituted by QCI.
Different types of Ayush Mark Level
There are two different type/levels of Ayush Mark that one can apply for –
- Ayush Standard Mark – This caters to the domestic market. To get certified with ‘Standard’ mark its needed that the product complies with the domestic regulatory requirements.
- Ayush Premium Mark – The ‘Premium’ mark caters to the overseas market. To get certified for this, it is needed that GMP requirements based on WHO Guidelines and product requirements with the flexibility to certify against any overseas regulation are met. The guidelines for Premium Ayush Mark are much stricter than the standard one.
The process to receive Ayush Mark
An organization planning to get certified should follow these steps to receive Ayush Mark –
- Planning by Organization for Ayush Product Certification
- Preparation by Organization
- Self-assessment by Organization
- Certification Body
- Registration by a Certification Body
- Evaluation by a Certification Body
- Follow up and Corrective Actions
- Certification decision
- The issue of a Certificate by Certification Body
- Agreement for usage of Ayush Certification Mark(s)
- Maintaining Certification
Ayush Mark Benefits
- Provide a base for COPP(certificate of Pharmaceutical Products) for Ayurveda Products issued by DCI(Drug Controller General).
- Ayush Mark is meant inlined with the international norms such as those set by WHO, or Regulations of EC (European Commission), USA & other Countries.
- It’s a product approval & it certifies the quality and performance of the product. The quality indirectly is controlled & measured by QCI(Quality Council of India).
- The Ayush Product quality mark enhances the consumer confidence & a symbol of trust nationally and internationally.
- The mark differentiates quality products among below quality products. This will be a very competitive advantage to product and company.